Knowing whether to keep or let go of things when moving is not an easy choice. Of course, you will have to decide before you call a professional moving company to come and help you relocate. However, this is easier said than done. Knowing what you will need after your move is not easy. Even more, knowing if you are making a good choice by leaving some things behind is not easy as well. So, unless you wish to stress over this throughout your relocation, you will find a way to make this work without any issues. Our team of experts will try to help you out with this as much as it is possible. We have all relocated before and we have all faced similar issues. In any case, let us begin with our guide without any further ado, shall we?
An easy way to let go of things when moving
There will come a time when you must choose between bringing some things with you for your move or leaving them behind. Such items will vary not only on how much they are worth but how much they mean to you as well. Sometimes a children’s toy can bring more joy than finding a long-lost ring. So, how do you decide which items to bring along with you, and which items to leave behind? The answer to this is definitely not easy. But, the method you can use can make things easier. Here is what you should do:
- Clean and declutter first. Chances are that you are not going to wish to save every little thing that pops into your mind while you are cleaning and decluttering. The process is called decluttering for a reason – you will be throwing away up to 20% of the things you own, that you don’t need, in this process. After all, you will not call some of the finest residential movers NYC has to offer only to relocate your junk items, right?
- Decide what to keep. You will face a tough challenge. On one side, you have to relocate. On the other, you will have to bring as much with you as possible. However, bringing along some junk items is definitely not a good idea. Those items will only make up for your relocation space. Even more, they will add weight to your relocation both in literal terms and in the time needed. So, you will have to decide what to keep. Try to do this as soon as you can.
Some things to think about
Of course, there will be some things you should be thinking about. For example, remember the gift you received in elementary school for good grades? It is useless now, most likely. But are you willing to leave it behind? This, of course, depends on how much something means to you. If it means to you, you should bring it along nevertheless. However, what if you must decide between two items you wish to bring along? Certainly, you could possibly bring both of them, but you cannot do this for the entirety of your belongings. It is simply not practical. So, you will have to see which items hold more sentimental value and bring only those. You can leave the rest behind.
A really good way to let go of things when moving
Instead of throwing away your old toys or something else, you do not need, why not sell it instead? That way, you will be doing yourself a big favor. First of all, you will be earning a small profit on the items you will not use anymore and someone else will. Secondly, you will not have to think about whether or not to leave such things behind because you already sold them. Here is what you can do with your spare items before your move:
- Organize a garage sale. It really does not matter if you are in Los Angeles, New York City, or anywhere else in the world – you can organize a yard/garage sale. That way, you will make a small profit and someone else will profit as well. It is something you should call a win-win situation. In any case, doing this will help you a lot before your move.
- Recycle some items. You will be surprised about recycling. Chances are that you have something that can be reused. The best part about this – you will earn some money for recycling your items. Even more, you will declutter and not have to think about most things you do not need anymore. Definitely a good idea.
- Donate the items. Even if you do not need some items anymore, there will be someone else who does. It can be anyone – a poor person or a friend who needs some extra metal for his project. In any case, you can donate your items and, thus, make sure that you do not think about them anymore. Think about this one.
You will definitely not need a lot of items when moving to Queens. In any case, you will have more space to organize your move if you get rid of your sentimental clutter. After all, you will definitely not use those items anymore, and someone else will. So, you can help a person out and earn some money in the process. This is definitely one of the best ideas you can have for your move. Of course, you will be the one who decides which items to keep and which not. So, you will still be in full control of your relocation.
If you are having a tough time letting go of things when moving, think about our guide. In here, we have offered some really good advice. After all, we have all moved before and some of us did exactly what we wrote about. From personal experience, it did help us out a lot, so, it can help you out as well. Good luck in any case!