Before you hire a moving company, it is necessary to find out how do they charge. Every moving company has their own ways of charging, but in the end, they are all quite similar. Moving companies NYC charge reasonable prices for the great service they provide, we can guarantee that. However, there is a difference in charging for a move that is local and the one that is international. We have prepared this guide for you to know what to expect from your interstate moving companies NYC. Being prepared for what lays ahead is the best thing to have a stress-free move.
The price depends on the services that you choose
Moving companies NYC will charge based on the services that you choose to buy. There are a lot of services offered to make your move much more easier. Here is the list of the most common ones:
- Packing services – Packing service includes obtaining all the packing materials (not included in the price) and packing all of your belongings. When you are in a hurry, this is a great option because the movers are very experienced and will do it much faster than it would normally take.
- Assembling and disassembling furniture – Your move would cost less if you did this on your own. However, instead of risking an injury or damaging your furniture, you can pay for this service and have it done in no time.
- Storage fees – Sometimes it is not possible to deliver the items into your new home right away. In case you need a storage service, moving companies NYC charge a reasonable price for it.
- Special services – If you have a piano that you need to move, you will be charged extra to have it safely moved to your new home. However, moving companies NYC also offer special services such as junk removal, disposal, and cleaning, blue-chip, etc. The final bill will depend on which of the services you take.
- Insurance – Every moving company must offer insurance when it comes to moving. You can choose to have a 60 cents per item insurance, which is not quite suitable for high-value items, or you can pay in advance for the full price of the item.
Of course, you can always negotiate with your Brooklyn movers and lower the price of moving. There are several situations in which you may get a discount, so go for it.
Next to the price per hour or per weight, there are additional fees being charged if necessary. These may include a wide variety of things, but here are the most common ones.
- Date of your move – This can play a significant role when it comes to charges. It is known that moving in summer and spring costs more than moving in winter, for example. Most families choose to move in the summer because of the summer break. Additionally, people tend to move at the end of the month and at peak traffic hours. If you choose an off-season date, moving companies NYC charge less, as they have less moving events in that period.
- No elevator in a building – Additional fee will be charged if you live on the fifth floor of a building with no elevator. This is simply because it requires extra time, equipment and men.
- Long carrying – If there is no parking space around your building or your house, for your Brooklyn movers, you may be charged additional fees. If there is a parking space in front of your building, reserve it for the movers. Otherwise, all of your belongings will have to be carried longer than necessary.
Moving estimates are very important
Every reputable moving company will offer you the option of estimating charges for your move. You have the right to know how much will your move cost and how much will moving companies NYC charge you for the move. Here are the three types of moving estimates:
- Binding moving estimate – A moving company will send a member of staff to your house and decide how much material, staff, and time is necessary to perform the move. Then, they will calculate the moving cost and send it to you in writing. The great side of this moving estimate is that you will know exactly how much you will pay for the move.
- Non-binding moving estimate – A non-binding moving estimate is a pretty general estimate that does have to be true in the end. It is simply an estimate where the final bill can turn out to be much higher. For this reason, we do not recommend it. It is better to know how much you will have to pay, rather than taking a guess.
- Binding-not-to-exceed estimate – The best option of them all. When you get a binding-not-to-exceed estimate it means that if it turns out that your items actually weigh more, you will still pay for the original price. And if it turns out that they weigh less, you will not pay for the extra weight. Always go for this type of estimate.
How will moving companies NYC charge you?
Moving companies NYC charge per hour and per men if the move is a local one. The price is usually from 45$ to 70 $ per hour, so you can easily calculate the price of the move. On the other hand, the interstate move cost is per mile and per the weight of your belongings. For an interstate move, we kindly suggest that you get rid of all unnecessary items. Good luck!