Moving to a new city can be scary and therefore stressful. But you should think of it as a chance to learn to stand on your own and become your true self. You will have the opportunity to build the life you’ve always wanted for yourself. To ensure the success of this endeavor when moving to a new city alone, you should carefully research your new area. The second step could be the most important, as you need to make a reliable moving budget and plan your move in detail. If you don’t take advantage of one of the best moving companies NYC, you also need to think about packing your belongings in a safe and efficient manner.
Moving to a new city alone is a challenge for sure
Only when the relocation is over and you find yourself on your own in a completely new environment, the true challenges begin. Now it’s time to bravely face them in order to make the most out of your new life. Our insightful tips below will help you with moving to a new city alone and successfully deal with all the turbulence along the way. So, if you’re planning a move to a new city on your own, but with the help of our Jersey City movers, you can follow this comprehensive guide below before you embark on your relocation journey – it will help you overcome the doubts and worries you’re going to face along the way and establish yourself in your new world.
Daunting as it may be, you can do it – just follow the proven tips listed below:
Research and plan
Diving headfirst into the unknown is not smart when you’re moving to a new city alone. You need to know exactly where you’ll be moving to, why you want that specific area, and how you can make it work:
- First, research your new area. This means finding out the cost of living in your new city, knowing more about the employment options and the overall business climate. Make sure to check the weather conditions in the region, and if they work for you. Get familiar with the social policies and cultural characteristics of that part of the country. Simply find out what your new city has to offer so that you know what to expect after moving to a new city alone;
- Find a perfect new home – check the crime rates and living standards in different neighborhoods of your future city. Decide on the most important features you want your new place to have, contemplate its location. Really make sure you choose a property in a preserved condition with a monthly rent or mortgage that does not exceed 25% of your budget. Moving to a new city alone and into temporary housing is also a good option when you’re just starting out.
Have a detailed moving checklist to organize the move and track your progress:
- Minimize your possessions – go through your belongings and decide which of them you’d like to take to your new home. You should bring along only items that you really need and love. And dispose of everything else before the move.
- Create a moving calendar for the optimum organization of your time. The calendar should break your tasks into achievable mini-goals and prioritize them according to their difficulty. It should also set adequate timeframes for you to complete them.
- Decide if you’re going to hire professional moving services or opt for a DIY move. After you compare the moving costs and consider the risks and advantages of each option, you should be able to choose the perfect option. For example, when you’re moving to a new city alone without heavy furniture or large household items, you could do good without professional moving assistance. Otherwise, a full-service move will be your best bet, as you’ll have no one to help you take your belongings into your new home.
Work out a budget for your move
This is crucial if you want to clearly see if your savings will be enough to cover all the moving expenses and sustain you for the first couple of months of living alone. You will need to assess your finances and set a moving budget. Ask around for what the cost of moving with a professional moving company is. Get estimates for how much the necessary packing materials, your travel expenses, and the most likely post-relocation expenses will cost you. To be certain you won’t experience any financial struggles during this somewhat uncertain period of your life, you need to set aside at least double the amount you first determined as necessary for your relocation.
Once you’ve gathered all the necessary information about moving to a new city alone, it’s time to move:
- Find experienced and reliable movers to help you relocate and book their services as early as possible. You also have the option of renting a moving truck for the day of your move.
- Collect important documents. Gather your personal documents and financial records and transfer your medical records. Don’t forget to do the same with your pet’s health certificate and vaccination record.
- Change your address at the post office, transfer utilities with your service providers, and cancel subscriptions;
- Get your car checked and serviced, or book your flight, depending on means of transportation to your new home;
- Say goodbye to your friends, neighbors, and family in your old neighborhood, as well as your favorite places in town.
- Pack up your life!
When moving to a new city alone, make sure you:
- Get appropriate packing materials;
- Know what items not to pack (forbidden items);
- Start packing as early as possible (start with rarely used and out of season items first and use an efficient packing timeline to bring order to the packing chaos);
- Make sure you have the best possible protection for your items (especially fragile ones);
- Label the boxes with their contents and the important handling instructions;
- Pack your valuables separately and with the utmost care (you will need to somehow move them yourself);
- Pack essentials in your survival box (make sure it travels with you).
- Stay focused and don’t lose motivation, because it’s crucial to finishing the moving preparations in time. Be completely ready by the time our movers arrive to ensure a safe and trouble-free moving day. Double-check everything and have a fun trip to your new residence and an exciting start to a new life chapter!