Nowadays, it has become very popular to downsize and move into a smaller place. The benefits are numerous and it turns out that we do not actually need much space, after all. So, if you are feeling low for exchanging your large house for a small apartment, don`t be. Greenwich Ct movers will make your moving stress-free. Furthermore, they will make moving into a small apartment will be just another adventure for you.
Before you move
We mentioned that living in a smaller place has its benefits, however, it is important to choose the right apartment for you. There are a few things to have in mind when choosing your new space for living. The rest will be easy with moving companies NY.
- High ceiling- This will give you a sense of freedom, and you will not feel suffocated by a small apartment. If the ceiling is low, just turn away and find another apartment. Moving into a small apartment does not have to be a nightmare. You just need to find the one that suits your needs best.
- Natural lightning – It is very important that you have large windows and that your apartment is positioned on the eastern side. If you choose a dark apartment, everyone in it would soon feel depressed and down. Hence, search the one with a lot of natural lighting.
- High closets – If your apartment comes with the furniture, check out the closets. Ask yourself whether you will have enough space for your belongings. A smartly positioned furniture can make any apartment look much bigger, so take note.
Moving into a small apartment means multifunctional furniture
You will not need much space in your new apartment if you have double-use furniture. Interior designers agree that space is best used if it has multiple functions, thus making moving into a small apartment much easier. For example:
- Ottomans – Ottomans can be used for sitting when you have guests. However, if they open, you can store magazines in them. Or slippers, for example. Children`s toys usually fit perfectly in ottomans, so the choice is all yours.
- Bed – The place under the bed should be kept neat and clean at all times, according to Feng Shui. And we could not agree more with this. There is no place under the bed for tools, books, souvenirs, etc. However, a clean bedsheet, towels, and blankets are perfect to place under the bed, so go for it.
- Bookshelves – Although it is not obvious at first, bookshelves that are high to the ceiling can actually serve as a room divider. Wouldn`t you rather have your bedroom and living room separated, even by a bookshelf? The same can apply to curtains, as well.
Reduce the number of items that you have
When moving into a small apartment, you need to reduce your belongings to only the items that you need and love. This is a great opportunity to revise all that you own, and to part with some things that are no longer useful to you.
- Throw away all the clothes that you have not worn in more than 3 years – Chances are, they will just be taking us space in your new apartment. The positive side of this is that you will just be surrounded by the things that you truly love and use on an everyday basis.
- Get rid of all the duplicate items that you have ( You do not need to two toasters or two hairdryers). It is time to cut down on items that serve the same purpose. Just give them to someone that will use it, and learn the tips for home decluttering early on.
- Give away the books you do not intend to read – Keep your favorite books and the books you keep coming to. If you are moving into a smaller place, think of the people that would be happy to have them.
- Go digital – A lot of space can be freed if you took all of your documents and went all digital. Nowadays, it is really easy to scan the photos and store them on the Cloud. You can still keep one or two albums in your apartment. Furthermore, if you need to hold onto your utility bills, you can simply scan and store them on Cloud. This will make a lot of free room in your apartment, but it will also protect the environment.
There are several ways in which you can do this. First of all, you can sell all of your items online and earn some easy money. But, you can also donate your items and make someone else happy. Or, feel the joy of simply throwing away the items that can no longer be used. Finally, you can use storage services until you figure out what you want to do with your items.
Ultimate tips for moving into a smaller place
Here are a few hacks that will make your life much easier:
- Paint your apartment in light colors – It will make the apartment seem much bigger and wider.
- Build customized closets – In order to use as much space as possible, you should use the height of the apartment, and make it your benefit.
- Unblock space – If you have any furniture that is blocking the passage, or does not seem natural to you, remove it. You can easily sell that piece of furniture and buy a new one that will fit your apartment.
Moving into a small apartment can be the best that has happened to you if you know a few tips and tricks. Good luck!